Sunday, February 24, 2008

Detoxifying Laptop

A few months back I was looking at buying a new laptop (still is, actually). Problem is, I do not have that kind of money, and I cannot bring myself to ask from my parents.

So on Thursday evening, I decided to do a massive clean-up of my computer! Anyone who saw my laptop prior to the "cleaning-up" will know my desktop was clustered with icons and what not. I downloaded a few programs to help detoxing my dying laptop - Start-up Optimizer, Registry Optimizer, Tune XP, Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, HijackThis, Tweak UI, SmartDefrag and Normal Malware Cleaner. I also had some pre-installed programs - Registry Mechanic, AVG Anti-Virus and CCleaner. Some programs I would suggest, some less so, depending on your level of tech-savvyness.

Apart from ridding my computer of spywares, tracking cookies, empty registry entries etc, I also arranged (at long last!) the files in my computer, moving some into one of my many external harddisks! After running SmartDefrag (which defrags, obviously), another program downloaded for Mission-Clean-Up-Laptop, a few tweakings using Tweak UI, and some beautifying, my laptop's desktop looks like this...

Yea well I could make it look more like a Mac by using StyleXP or WindowBlinds to alter the theme but my laptop is dying - as such, memory-consuming changes are kept to the very minimum! I need a new laptop goddamit.

... how about you contribute to the "Buy Charles a Laptop Fund"? Where's the love.

Qi

6 comments:

Kanga said...

my laptop "detox" plan nids to b done soon too... mayb when im free nex mth...since i'll jobles den haha. gud luck in yo fund raising tho...kekekeke

Kanga said...

typo:
...since i'll BE jobles den

King Qi said...

now why would u be jobless? =\ i thought u said u were going to make it long-term.

Anonymous said...

sell some of ur stamp n get urself a new labtop..haha..

Anonymous said...

Haha..
go to work then buy a new laptop

King Qi said...

Hehe guys, I am happy to announce then I will, after all, get a new laptop. And no, it doesn't involve selling stamps and going to work. :)